Dental Practice Review Regulations
made under Section 45 of the
S.N.S. 1992, c. 3
O.I.C. 2008-100 ( March 11, 2008 ), N.S. Reg. 102/2008
1 These regulations may be cited as the Dental Practice Review Regulations.
2 In these regulations,
(a) “Act” means the Dental Act;
(b)“Committee” means the Dental Practice Review Committee;
(c) “Dental Practice Review Program” means the program established by these regulations for conducting practice reviews;
(d) “practice review” means an on-site inspection and assessment of a licensee’s practice conducted in accordance with these regulations;
(e) “self-assessment document” means a document that lists specific things to be checked in a practice review.
Dental Practice Review Committee
3 (1) The Committee must consist of 3 licensed dentists appointed by the Board, each of whom has practised dentistry for at least 5 years.
(2) The Committee chair must be appointed by the Board from the Committee members.
(3)The initial terms of the Committee members are as follows:
(a)the initial chair and one member for 3 years;
(b)one member for 2 years.
(4) Each subsequent member of the Committee must serve a term of 3 years and the first members and succeeding members may be reappointed for two additional 3-year terms.
(5) Any vacancy on the Committee must be filled by a licensed dentist appointed by the Board for the unexpired term of the vacated position.
(6) The Committee is responsible for administering the Dental Practice Review Program in accordance with these regulations.
Form of self-assessment document
4 A self-assessment document must be in a form approved by the Board in consultation with the Dental Association.
Licensed dentists randomly selected for self-assessment
5 (1) Once a year, the Committee, using a random sampling process that is approved by the Board and stratified by district, must select 15% of licensed dentists in private practice to complete a self-assessment document.
(2) A licensed dentist selected to complete a self-assessment document must complete and return the self-assessment document to the Committee.
(3) The Committee must review and evaluate all returned self-assessment documents.
Licensed dentists required to undergo practice review
6 (1) After reviewing and evaluating returned self-assessment documents under subsection 5(3), the Committee, using a random sampling process that is approved by the Board and stratified by district, must select 15% of the licensed dentists who returned self-assessment documents for a practice review.
(2) A licensed dentist is required to undergo a practice review in any of the following circumstances:
(a) the Board selects the licensed dentist at random under subsection (1);
(b) the licensed dentist is directed to the Committee by the Registrar or by the Complaints Committee;
(c) the Committee directs it after reviewing and evaluating a self-assessment document.
(3) A licensed dentist who is required by clause (2)(b) to undergo a practice review as a result of being directed to the Committee by the Registrar or by the Complaints Committee is not required to complete a self-assessment document before undergoing the practice review.