Frequently Asked Questions

Here are the answers to some questions commonly asked of the Provincial Dental Board of Nova Scotia by licensees.  If you have a question that has not been answered here, please email us at and we will do our best to respond and we may share your question (anonymously) with others here.

What Is The National Dental Assisting Examining Board (NDAEB)?

The NDAEB is an independent Board endorsed by many dental assisting associations and regulatory bodies. The Board has nation wide representatives from the Canadian Dental Assistant's Association, the Canadian Dental Association, the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada, dental assisting educators from accredited and non-accredited educational institutes, and the public.

What is the Mandate of the NDAEB?

The purpose of the NDAEB is to assure that individuals entering the practice of dental assisting have met a national baseline standard in the knowledge , skills and attitudes necessary to practice as a dental assistant. The NDAEB assists provincial Dental Assisting Regulatory Authorities in the licensure, registration or certification of individuals in a province or territory. The NDAEB certificate aids in inter-provincial labour mobility for the dental assisting profession in Canada.

For further information on the National Dental Assisting Examining Board please go to

When does my 3-year Continuing Dental Education cycle start?

On January 1 of the calendar year following the year of registration.

If I take a course before January 1 will it count towards my credit hour requirement?

Yes. For first time registrants credits obtained between the date of registration and the beginning of the first three-year cycle may be applied to the first three year cycle.

I am taking a course next month, how will I know if it is eligible for credit?

Refer to the "Guidelines for Mandatory Continuing Education" in your Provincial Dental Board Licensing package.

I am interested in conducting a course and I want to advise prospective participants if it will be eligible for credit, can you tell me if it is eligible?

The College does not provide prior approval for courses. However, if the course adheres to the "Guidelines for Mandatory Continuing Education", in particular the stated Objectives, it will likely be eligible for credit.

I am taking a course on needlepoint, can I claim it under Personal Enhancement?

No, it does not fulfill the Objectives in the "Guidelines for Mandatory Continuing Education" which states; Courses or their educational equivalents must have significant intellectual or practical content, directly related to the practice of dentistry, dental hygiene or dental assisting, or to the professional or ethical responsibility of the participant.

What is self-study and what courses qualify for self-study?

Courses that are completed by correspondence, clinical video tapes, CD-ROM, internet, etc. will be eligible for credit under Category 2 (h) in the "Guidelines for Mandatory Continuing Education."

How will I know when to send my CE log in?

You are only required to send your completed log to the Board if you are selected in the random audit. You will receive a letter from the Registrar in December of the cycle end year.

What is the National Dental Examining Board of Canada (NDEB)?

The NDEB was incorporated by an Act of Parliament in 1952 for the purpose of establishing qualifying conditions for a national standard certificate for dentists. All ten Canadian Provincial Licensing Authorities recognize and participate in the activities of the NDEB.

For further information regarding the National Dental Examining Board of Canada please visit their website at

What are National Dental Speciality Certificates?

The mission of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada is to maintain the high standards of practice of the recognized dental specialties by examining qualified candidates for admission to Fellowship in the College and by working with stakeholders to establish standards for dental specialty education, practice and certification.

The RCDC is the examining body for dental specialists in Canada. Many of the Dental Regulatory Authorities (DRAs) in Canada require successful completion of the examination as a pre-requisite for licensure. You should contact the licensing authority in the province in which you intend to practice for complete information and requirements. As a new graduate, you will be taking the standard examination, also known as the National Dental Specialty Examination (NDSE). Those who completed a previous examination at the Royal College of Dentists of Canada but who did not complete the Fellowship section may take a portion of the NDSE to complete their Fellowship. From time to time, the College also offers other modified examinations for specific groups of people to obtain Fellowship. Refer to the Examination Format Comparison chard in each specialty to see a description of current exam formats and the components required for each. If in doubt, contact the RCDC office at